IELTS SPEAKING

Describe a person who has apologized to you

PART II
Lưu ý : Trước khi xem sample answer, các bạn bắt buộc phải xem video Chiến thuật trả lời Speaking Part 2 của mình để biết phương pháp trả lời. Toàn bộ các câu trả lời của mình sẽ đi theo phương pháp mà mình đã nêu và các bạn sẽ thấy Part 2 không còn quá khó như bạn vẫn tưởng.
Describe a person who has apologised to you. You should say

  • Who this person is      
  • When this happened
  • What this person said for apologising    
  • and explain how you feel about the apology
1. Một phút chuẩn bị
Merri – flatmate in Australia – very first friend when landed this country
Last Christmas – 2 film ticket voucher from teacher – award – high score – Merri enter my head – appointment on Christmas day 2:00PM – scheduled to show up at 1:30PM but didn’t- gave rings – not pick up -> Furious, hit the ceiling
Sent a message humble and sincere – mom collided by a car- Merri take care of her in hospital – no phone charger- out of battery- couldn’t contact
Guilty- too aggressive- know nothing about her situation- not a friend indeed- drew a lesson- don’t jump to conclusion – impose st on sb without knowing the cause
2. Sample Answer
I’m going to talk about the person who used to say sorry to me. It was one of my flatmate in Australia, whose name is Merri. I can say, Merri is the very friend that I had when I just landed this country
Well, to begin the speech, I think I would like to mention when and how it occurred. Last Christmas, I got 2 film ticket vouchers for free from my teacher as an award after achieving high score in exam. Sort of fancy, you know. And the one to enter my head right straight away that I would invite to joy the time with me was definitely Merri. So the appointment was already set exactly on the Christmas day at two PM. I was so excited that I couldn’t wait until 2 so I decided to leave home soon and wandered around the city to shorten the time. As scheduled previously, Merri was supposed to show up at the theature at 1:30, she still didn’t. I gave her so many rings, but she didn’t pick up the phone. I hit the ceiling, I mean I was so furious.
A day later merri sent me a message in a very humble and sincere way that her mom was collided by a car and she had to take care of her mom at the hospital. Merri also explained that her phone was out of battery because of spending the whole day at the hospital without the phone charger so she couldn’t contact me.
Finally If I still have time I would like to talk about my feeling after receiving her apology. I felt very guilty for being too aggressive while knowing nothing about her situation. I also had a thought that I wasn’t her good friend indeed.  I drew a lesson from this incident about judging someone.  Anything happen with its own reason. Don’t jump to the conclusion or impose st on someone without knowing the cause”
3. Vocabulary
3.1 Terms and phrase
Enter one’s head: chợt nghĩ đến
Wander around: đi lang thang, đi dạo
Be supposed to: đáng lẽ ra phải…
Give someone a ring: gọi cho ai
Hit the ceiling: tức giận
Collide something/somebody: đâm vào cái gì /ai
Friend indeed: bạn tốt
Draw a lesson: rút ra bài học
Jump to the conclusion: vội đi đến kết luận
Impose something on someone: áp đặt cái gì lên cho ai
3.2 New words for person description
Humble: khiêm tốn, khúm núm
Sincere: chân thành
Aggressive: hung hăng
Furious: giận giữ
Guilty: tội lỗi

PART III
1. Is it important to say sorry? 
Yes, of course! Everyone makes mistakes that leads to a misunderstanding or even argument and it’s very important that you should say that you are sorry for what you have done for your and for others ‘sake.  On the one hand it will help you to release bad feelings you’re definitely holding when you did something bad. On the other hand, saying sorry and showing that you’re sincere can bridge any gaps between you two, I believe that. If you didn’t say that, they would hold ill feelings for you in the future and you can even end up ruin a relationship”

  • Từ vựng :

misunderstanding Hiểu nhầm
argument Tranh cãi
for one‘ sake Vì lợi ích của ai
sincere Chân thành
bridge gaps Thu hẹp khoảng cách
ruin a relationship Hủy hoại một mối quan hệ
2. What situations do people say sorry?
“Well, there are many situations that lead people to say sorry, when you do something wrong, you broke something, or simply just bump against or collide with each other on the bus, you know but the one that comes up quite often is when you accidentally hurt someone’s feelings. Then we really need to say that we are sorry for our thoughtlessness, as soon as possible”

  • Từ vựng :

bump against = collide with Đụng độ ai, đụng vào ai
come up Xuất hiện, xảy ra
thoughtlessness Vô tâm, thiếu suy nghĩ
3. Why do some people hate to say sorry?
Well, admittedly, saying that you’re sorry to a person for what you have done, especially in serious situations, not the casual ones is really hard. It takes you courage to do that because everyone has their own self-esteem and no one wants to admit that they’re wrong, especially for those who are pigheaded and stubborn”

  • Từ vựng :

courage Dũng khí
self-esteem Lòng tự trọng
pigheaded Cứng đầu
stubborn Ngang bướng
4. When will people say thank you?
Well I believe that “Thank you” can be an incredibly powerful pair of words, especially if the person you’re thanking really needs to hear them, or isn’t expecting them. People often say thank you when they really appreciate something that you did for them, even if it’s something that you’re supposed to be doing anyway or even the simplest gestures in daily life. And saying thank you is as important as saying sorry because being appreciated is one of those things that really satisfies and motivates us so a little goes a long way if you can offer up a genuine thank you when it’s appropriated”
5. When was the last time you found it hard to accept an apology? “It’s when I and my friend we had a big fight and one thing leads to another, somehow she ended up insulting me and my family. I couldn’t accept her apology at all even though it seemed honest. I then still forgave her but our friendship can never be the same anymore. I feel sorry for that”
Thank you and keep trying 😉
Cheers!